Wednesday, April 24, 2013

In a rut?

Last weekend I wasn't myself. I was feeling depressed, everyone was bothering me, and I had no motivation to do anything. Some might call this a bad day, but I think I was stuck in a rut. It was an awful feeling and I just wanted to get back to normal. After spending a long Sunday in bed doing some relaxation and self-reflection, I finally felt that I was in the right mindset to get myself out of this gross haze. I've made a list that I know I'll look back at whenever I'm feeling down, and hopefully it'll be useful for you too.


1. Figure out what's getting you down - Identifying the root of the problem is the fastest way to think of a solution and start feeling better. Are you homesick after a few months away at school? Stressed about exams? Not taking enough time for yourself? Take some time to think about what's bringing you down and work on changing it. Maybe call home, break up studying into little bits every day so it's not so overwhelming, or take a nice long bubble bath and give yourself a manicure. You'll be on the road to recovery in no time.

2. Stay positive - Thinking about how miserable you are will only make you more miserable. Think about fun plans that are coming up this summer or a fun girls night you had a few weekends ago. Remember the way you're feeling right now will soon pass and that there are brighter days ahead.

3. Take a break - Take a day or maybe even just a few minutes to relax. Slowing down and making time for yourself is a great way to clear your mind and allow yourself time to perk up.

4. Do something that makes you happy - Similar to taking a break, doing something that makes you happy will not only take your mind off your bad mood, but it'll also be fun! Lay out in the grass with a good book, eat a piece of chocolate, or spend some time reading your favorite blogs (hint, hint). Doing anything besides focusing on your bad mood is sure to help.

5. Work out - It's no secret working out releases endorphins that make you feel great. After a workout you feel accomplished and your toned legs will make you feel extra confident. Getting out of the house and being active will help take your mind off whatever is bothering you and will naturally make you feel happy!

6. Retail therapy - Retail therapy really is a thing. Buying a small pick-me-up for yourself can instantly make you feel happy and excited to receive your new treat in the mail (I'm assuming you love online shopping as much as me). As long as you don't overdo it, buying a small new accessory or pair of shoes for yourself will give you something to look forward to. 

I hope this list can help if you're ever feeling down. Just remember, the sun'll come out tomorrowwww! The lameness of that reference should have you smirking already.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...