Sunday, July 21, 2013

Summer Treat: Creamy At Home Iced Coffee

via
In my last Friday Favs post, iced coffee was the very first thing on the list. And it's first for a reason. I LOVE iced coffee. It's so refreshing (not a way you'd normally describe coffee!) and still gives you that caffeine buzz. I normally go out to a coffee shop to get my fix, but it does get pricey and there isn't one conveniently located to where I've been working this summer. Sooo, I decided to try my own at home - and failed. I put ice into hot coffee with milk and sugar. Bad idea. The ice melted and made the coffee gross and watery, and it wasn't even that cold. To remedy this issue I hit the internet to find some actual legitimate iced coffee recipes.

There are many different techniques to making iced coffee, but I wanted one that was easy, simple, and fast but still delicious. I found two different recipes that I like, Simply Delicious and The Pioneer Woman.


Simply Delicious came up with a brilliant idea, make coffee ice cubes! All you have to do is brew a pot, pour it into an ice dish, and freeze. The next morning put the coffee cubes in your freshly brewed coffee and viola! Nice cold coffee without the wateryness. Or, you can brew a big pot and keep it in the fridge, then add the coffee cubes. Whichever you prefer. Add cream and sugar to your liking! Genius!


The technique that The Pioneer Woman uses is a little more complicated and takes a little more time, but produces a stronger, richer coffee than just brewing it and adding the cubes. Here are the steps:

1. Pour a pound of coffee into a container (large bowl, pitcher, Tupperware, etc.)
2. Pour in 8 quarts (2 gallons) of cold water
3. Stir to make sure all the grounds come into contact with water
4. Cover the container and let the coffee steep for at least 8 hours, longer will result in stronger coffee
5. After the time is up, place cheesecloth (or a coffee filter, or paper towels) inside a fine mesh strainer
6. Slowly pour the coffee concentrate through the filter and into a different container, discard grounds
7. Use a spoon to press the liquid through 
8. Refrigerate the liquid 

When you're reading to drink the yummy, strong coffee - 
1. Fill a glass with ice and pour in coffee about half way
2. Splash in your choice of creamer (skim, 2%, or whole milk, half and half, sweetened condensed milk... you get the point)
3. Add in sugar, syrup, etc!

There you have it, two different ways to make iced coffee. I think I will begin by trying Technique #2, stronger coffee is right up my alley. 


Hope this helps if you're looking to make some great at-home iced coffee!! Enjoy! 
Ps- Don't forget to enter my Summer Favorites giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...